You’re likely aware of the recent devastation and extensive damage in Texas and Florida from hurricanes. Flooding from the heavy rains has displaced thousands of people from their homes and businesses. Getting their property back into livable conditions may take some time and effort.
Living here in the St. Louis area, you probably aren’t too worried about hurricanes sweeping through, damaging your home or business. However, we have many other causes of water damage, like burst pipes, heavy rains and storms, overflowing toilets, non-functioning sump pumps—the list goes on and on. The most damaging source for water damage is flooding from acts of nature, like heavy and prolonged rain, excess snow melting, and others One catastrophic event can cause widespread destruction.
The effects of the water damage can be devastating, if not addressed immediately. Quick response is key to restoring your home or office to a functional place.
Classes of Water Damage
According to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), there are several different levels and classes involved in liquid destruction.
The three categories of water involved are:
- Category 1 is from a clean and sanitary source. This type includes water from faucets, toilet tanks, drinking fountains, etc.
- Category 2 is contaminated with bacteria that may cause illness or discomfort if ingested. Sources include dishwasher or washing machine overflows, flush from sink drains, and toilet overflow with some urine but not feces.
- Category 3 is the most unsanitary form of water. It could cause severe illness or death if ingested. Sources include sewer backup, flooding from rivers or streams, toilet overflow with feces, and stagnant liquid that has begun to support bacterial growth.
Classifications of water destruction are:
- Class 1 is the least damaging and easiest to clean up. This is where on small areas were impacted, with little or no wet carpet and minor effect on materials and furnishings.
- Class 2 is water that has a quick evaporation rate, but affects an entire room, carpeting, or cushioning. The moisture from this event has wicked up the walls at least 12”, and it remains in structural materials.
- Class 3 has the fastest evaporation rate. Ceilings, walls, insulation, carpet and sub-floors are all saturated. The source of the liquid may have come from overhead.
- Class 4 is the worst type of destruction. It requires specialty drying processes, because there has been enough liquid and time to saturate materials with very low permeance, such as hardwood, brick, or stone.
The Importance of Quick Water Cleanup
Water damage to a residence or commercial property must be treated and dried quickly and properly to prevent further impacts, like mold and mildew. Our sister company, St. Louis Cleaning & Restoration, has the expertise and resources to assist us in the cleanup and restoration process. Once the drying process is completed, Finnteriors can proceed with any rebuilding necessary. Having this expertise readily available within our own company can expedite and mitigate your losses.
Delaying cleanup can result in further damages, including extensive mold growth. Mold endangers the health of building occupants, causing numerous maladies as a result. Once mold is growing inside the property, it continues to multiply until it is properly and completely removed, resulting in a more costly process to remedy. Water cleanup performed by St. Louis Cleaning & Restoration includes water removal from floors, carpets, drywall, furniture, draperies and all internal structures affected by the flooding.
Finnteriors Can Handle the Entire Process
Finnteriors has been in business since 1990 as a family owned and operated construction and remodeling company. We team with our sister company, St. Louis Cleaning & Restoration, in matters of water and fire cleanup and restoration.
We will work with your insurance company to file all paperwork and claims so that you can concentrate on other important matters during this time of devastation. We are available for emergency response 24/7, because timeliness is key in these devastating situations.
Contact us today if you have had water damage and need clean-up and rebuilding services. We’ll help you get your life back on track and functioning.