Bathrooms are one of the most used rooms in every home. If your bathroom looks outdated it’s time for a much-needed upgrade. In 2020, bathroom remodels will focus on being more functionally equipped and well-integrated.
There are several reasons to remodel a bathroom. Is the decor still the same since you’ve moved into your home? Have circumstances changed in your family, or are you just bored with the way it looks? Maybe you want to save on the monthly water bill or have serious plumbing issues that need to be fixed. All these are great reasons to remodel.
A bathroom remodel should incorporate functionality and designs that you love. Of course, we can’t forget about the budget. Depending on how much you want to spend will ultimately determine the features and fixtures that can be included.
You also want it to be something that will age well. Nobody wants a space that will look dated within a few years. This isn’t good for resale value or your budget. Bathroom remodels should include elements that are not only popular today, but will continue that trend in the future.
Bathroom Design Trends
Most homeowners spend just as much time in the bathroom as they do the bedroom or kitchen. It is a personal space that should fit the tasks and needs of everyone occupying that shared area. Besides color, other designs and features to help transform an old bathroom into a sanctuary include the following.
1. Biophilic DesignIf you want your bathroom to resemble a spa, consider a biophilic design that incorporates elements of nature into the decor. Being connected to nature helps reduce stress, enhance creativity, and improve well-being. This type of design includes natural materials and light. Touches of greenery, stone veneers, bamboo wall panels, and neutral paint tones can be added to give a spa-like feel.
Wallcoverings that help create a natural setting would work well in a biophilic themed bathroom. Devices can be used to bring natural sounds into this personal space, creating your therapeutic retreat.
2. Open ShowersRemove the glass doors and opt for an open shower. You will have less cleaning to do and many design options to choose from. Your bathroom remodel can include a corridor-style shower where two walls are facing each other with an opening on both sides. Or it can be an enclosure-style with three walls.
3. Freestanding BathtubsChanging the bathtub is a good way to modify the feel and style of your bathroom. Freestanding tubs are designed without any attachment to the floor or walls. They give bathrooms a spacious and luxurious feel. Materials used in freestanding tubs include:
- Ceramic Tile
- Cast Iron
- Porcelain on Steel
- Natural Stone
4. Console Style VanitiesFor small bathrooms that do not have much space, a console vanity or sink would work well. A console-style vanity is open at the bottom, exposing the walls. They are a combination of a sink and a table. The legs, sink, and counter space is slim. You can add storage bins or baskets underneath the sink.
5. Integrated LightingBathroom lighting is essential to creating a functional space. There are special lighting features that can be added to a bathroom. For a spa-like feel, consider integrating lighting in a whirlpool. If wall space is at a minimum, add lighting to the medicine cabinet or mirrors.
6. Metallic AccentsMetallics provides texture and brightens up a dark bathroom. They come in two categories, warm and cool. Brass, gold, copper, and bronze are warm metallics, while silver and platinum are cool. They can be used on cabinet doors, drawer pulls, faucets, and showerheads.
Silver accents pair well with whites and bold colors. Gold and brass accents complement blue and black pieces. Copper fits in with industrial decor. Adding brass accents with an unpolished finish looks great in a bathroom.
- Smart Toilets: self-cleaning, integrated bidet,
- Showers: electronic controls, timed shower setting, control temperature,
- Voice-Activated Lighting: use of smart light bulbs along with Echo
- Sinks: touchless, digital temperature-control settings
- Cabinets: warming drawers, refrigerated cabinets
Remodel Your Space
Bathrooms are more functional now than ever. Finnteriors can customize your bathroom to fit specific needs for your family. Our knowledgeable contractors and design team are up to date on the latest trends to make your home stand out. Contact us today for a free consultation.