Before you start remodeling your bathroom, make sure you select the right materials that will last. Bathrooms are subject to water damage, mold, and slick surfaces. Proper planning will ensure you choose correctly. If you’re selling your home, you want a good return on your investment.
Using the best materials will not only give you the greatest return but it will make your bathroom more durable and appealing to homebuyers. The best materials chosen for your bathroom remodel depends on the decor, budget and personal preferences of the homeowner. You want to be sure you’re making the right choices.
Choosing the Right Materials
The first step to making your bathroom remodel a reality is choosing the right materials. You want to choose materials that can stand up to water, humidity and continuous usage that all bathrooms encounter daily. Some materials are not recommended for a bathroom, such as wallpaper, carpeting and wood flooring.
There are many decisions to make, but here are a few suggestions to help with your materials selection process.
Three main materials that are durable and commonly chosen in for vanities and countertops include:
- Laminate is an economical choice. You can find laminate countertops in many colors and patterns. They can even be made to look like marble or granite for a higher-end look.
- Quartz is a material that can withstand stains, moisture, and continuous use. Quartz countertops come in a variety of colors and styles. This material will get a home buyer’s attention.
- Granite and marble portray high-end aesthetics. With a wide selection of colors and patterns, you can’t go wrong with either material. These long-lasting materials will be the center of attention in your new bathroom.
Stay away from tile countertops. The grout gets dirty much faster in these heavily used areas. Colored soap, makeup and lotion can stain it.
- Fiberglass is light-weight and easy to install. It is the least expensive option of bathtub materials. It is also the least durable.
- Enameled Steel is another inexpensive material. It is easy to clean and very durable. There aren’t many shape options with this material, however.
- Acrylic is on the expensive side. It is also a light-weight material that offers various size, shape, and color options.
- Cast Iron is the most durable option for a bathtub. This material is more expensive and heavier than all the other materials. The investment in cast iron may be worth it because it will last a long time.
Porcelain and ceramic tiles are the go-to materials for bathroom remodels. They are commonly used in bathrooms due to their water-resistant properties. They can be installed in areas where there is a lot of water, like above the shower or near the sink. Other benefits of using porcelain and ceramic tile include:
- Easy installation
- Many color and style selections available
- Decorative and attractive
- Requires little maintenance - easy cleaning
You want to choose a material that can endure daily wear and tear as well as water droplets. Materials for bathroom flooring that maximize your return on investment include porcelain or natural stone. They give an attractive appearance and come in different styles. There are some other materials to consider:
- Vinyl tile is a popular material choice for many homeowners. It is economical and made to look like porcelain or ceramic tile. Vinyl tile is also easy to install.
- Vinyl plank offers the appearance of wood flooring. This material is durable and easy to clean.
- Concrete floors are durable and can be sealed against water. You can choose different colors and tints to match your bathroom’s decor.
Generally, fixtures and finishes come down to personal taste. Choose a material that can withstand daily usage and is easy to clean. You may be able to boost home value by opting for the following materials.
- Stainless steel is the most durable material. It can be expensive; however, worth the money considering how long it will last.
- Chrome is an inexpensive option for a bathroom remodel. This material does show fingerprints and water spots easily.
- Nickel is long-lasting and comes either satin or brushed. It is more expensive than a chrome finish.
Ready to Remodel?
When you buy materials, choose quality products that will last. If you know exactly what you want in your new bathroom, have a reputable professional to install all your materials. Our team of remodel contractors also has the experience to help you decide on your materials selection.
Finnteriors specializes in home remodels. We will ensure you have the best bathroom remodel. Contact us today for a consultation.